- You should be 20 years old by the commencement date of the course. (Trainees can be accepted over 18 at the center’s discretion.)
- While the course itself does not require you to have a degree, you should have a standard of education equivalent to that required for entry into primary or higher education.
- Possess a strong command, awareness of English language with equal skills over verbal and written English - ideally at C2 level on the Common European Framework.
- Non-native speakers require an English Proficiency level of IELTS 7-8.
Some of the main units of learning are:
- Unit 1: Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Unit 2: Language analysis and awareness
- Unit 3: Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Unit 4: Planning and resources
- Unit 5: Developing teaching skills and professionalism
You will be continually assessed throughout the course and there is no final examination. The two types of assessment are:
- Teaching Practice
- Written Assignments
- Language Awareness
CertTESOL trainees will be continually assessed throughout the course via teaching practice, written assignments and the language awareness tasks. Trainees will always be kept informed of their progress during the course, and an external assessor, appointed by Trinity College London, moderates each course.
Teaching Practice, Observation
Teaching practice is an integral part of the course where trainees work in groups to plan, observe and give feedback to each other.
- Six hours of assessed teaching practice with real students in real classes.
- Detailed oral and written feedback of your teaching practice.
- Observation of both peer and qualified ELT teachers for six hours.